The online summer programme, organised by the Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism from 16th to 18th August 2021, provided insight into the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to prevent, detect and respond to violent extremism. In an intensive three-day course, participants met academics, experts, policymakers and practitioners and discuss the latest research insights, trends and dilemmas in the field of preventing violent extremism and learned how these dilemmas influence the effectiveness of various approaches in practice. Participants explored the various roles and limitations of different stakeholders and approaches and how these relate to each other in their joint efforts to prevent violent extremism.
How is violent extremism viewed? How is detection and prevention approached and shaped in policies and practice? During our online summer programme, practitioners and researchers will explore the different academic views on these questions, including critical perspectives.
- Practitioners in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Policy makers (international, national and regional);
- (Academic) researchers;
- Professionals aiming to expand their understanding of the challenges of violent extremism.
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of radicalization and preventing violent extremism;
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to violent extremism and its detection and prevention;
- Proper understanding of the various organisations and stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, interests and limitations;
- Perspectives on how to responsibly and ethically design and select policy interventions aimed at detecting, preventing and responding to violent extremism;
- Reflected on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Expanded one’s network of international experts in the field of preventing violent extremism.