Seventy-second session of United Nations General Assembly
Date: Tuesday 19 September, 12:30-15:30
Venue: CTED Offices, 220 E 42nd Street, 23rd Floor, New York City
On 19 September 2017, ICCT, together with the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED), will host the event ‘Bringing Terrorists to Justice in a (Post-)Conflict Landscape: Narrowing the Impunity Gap’ as part of an initiative to be implemented by ICCT and CTED in the upcoming months.
This event hosts a panel during which experts will discuss the role of the military and other relevant actors in collecting and sharing intelligence and evidence in (post-)conflict states, in order to bring terrorists to justice. Through a panel discussion of challenges, opportunities, and lessons learned in various (post-)conflict settings, speakers will explore ways to move from impunity to accountability. The meeting is also intended to mobilise support for further promotion of international law enforcement and judicial cooperation within this area.
Opening Statement and Introduction:
Mr. David Scharia, Chief of Branch, CTED
Panel Discussion Moderator:
Mr. Anton du Plessis, Legal and Criminal Justice Coordinator, CTED
• Mr. David Tolbert, President, International Centre for Transitional Justice
• Ms. Bibi van Ginkel and Ms. Tanya Mehra, ICCT
• Mr. Gilles de Kerchove, EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator
• Mr. Simon Minks, Senior National Prosecutor, the Netherlands
• Mr. Alexandre Zuev, Assistant Secretary-General for Rule of Law and Security Institutions, Department of Peacekeeping Operations
Please find the concept note and agenda of the event.